Re: script to start/stop/restart botnow

Greetings,

I wanted to express my heartfelt thanks to Angelo Rossi for his innovative script that has greatly enhanced our ability to daemonize BotNow. Your contribution has been invaluable.

In response to Angelo's script, I've developed an advanced solution called botnowctl. This program focuses on logging the output of botnow, including any errors from both botnow and botnowctl itself, to the file located at /var/log/botnow.log.

Here are some details about botnowctl:

Logging: botnowctl logs all output from botnow, including errors, to /var/log/botnow.log.

Installation: It is installed to /usr/local and includes a Makefile for straightforward installation, uninstallation, and management of dependencies and patches.

Patching: botnowctl includes patches that address minor issues encountered with BotNow. These patches are automatically applied during installation using doas make install.

Execution: botnowctl is a shell program with inline Perl. The shell script acts as a wrapper to execute the inline Perl program under the botnow user context using doas -u botnow.

Angelo's original idea and script were instrumental in inspiring the development of botnowctl, which I believe will significantly improve our ability to use BotNow effectively.

Thank you once again, Angelo, for your outstanding contribution.

Best regards,

Tcache
InspireNET